Good Morning Glories!
This time last week I was sitting in the little Airbnb apartment my sister-in-law and I rented in the Flatiron district of NYC before we headed out to get on our train to take us back to North Carolina. The more I travel, the more I appreciate Airbnb; hotel rooms can get small after a while and I so appreciate being able to brew and enjoy my cuppa in my jim jams in the morning without having to put on clothes and meander down to the lobby. And truthfully, we end up paying equal to or less than we would have in a hotel room. We have used them both in the USA and in Europe and have never had a bad experience.
To say we had THE LOVELIEST time in NYC with my daughter and my niece, a bit of girl’s weekend, would be a HUGE understatement! And to say we packed ALOT in our 48 hours would be an even greater understatement! We hit up some fine dining (shock face) at Tavern on the Green, ABC Kitchen and Her Name is Han; toured the somber but not-to-be-missed 9/11 Memorial and Museum, lucked out on some great tickets to see Kinky Boots (what a fun show!), had a successful time shopping (sorry honey) and finished it all with a Crime and Food Tour led by a former NYPD detective through the lower East Side and Little Italy (delightful food, company, guide and fun facts!)
Some of these links may be affiliate links and I may earn a small commission off of the sale of these products, but the price you are charged is not affected. You can see my full disclosure policy here.
Some little tips from our trip to NYC:
- Want to try your hand at getting cheap (ish) Broadway tickets? Try Lucky Seat. Between the 4 of us, we ‘won’ two tickets for $49 each and then were able to buy two more for $79 each.
- Would definitely recommend the NYPD Crime and Food Walk, also through Airbnb. It is $68 per person, but for that you get more than enough food (for the record I had 4 …yes 4..delicious slices of pizza, 2 outstanding meatballs and a to-die-for cannoli…all this eaten by the girl who avoids gluten and carbs!) And Dennis, the guide, is not only delightful and brimming with mobster facts, but also donates the proceeds each month to a local charity.
- If you haven’t stayed in an Airbnb…you might want to consider them for your next travel. For first time Airbnb users, use this link for $40 off of your first stay!
- And, I am now a convert to Amtrak travel! Talk about effortless travel! We took the train and avoided all the traffic around DC and NYC. In fact, Terry and I are planning a long weekend trip to DC this fall to celebrate our empty-nest-hood and will definitely be taking an Amtrak train. I’m curious about the sleep cars! Have you ever done an overnighter with Amtrak and stayed in a sleep car?
- In the better-late-than-never category…I have fallen hard for The Greatest Showman movie and soundtrack! We finally watched it during Nacho Night and I promptly downloaded the soundtrack, which has been playing pretty much non-stop during all waking hours on my Echo. Poor 18-year old Rob, who is trying to soak up his last days of summer sleeping in, just doesn’t appreciate all things Hugh Jackman like I do. In the pleasant surprise category...I didn’t realize that I could download it for free with my Amazon Music Unlimited plan, which has a free 30-day trial!
The noblest art is that of making others happy
- With all my travel of late, I have had plenty of time for games on my phone…but I just have never found any that really appeal to me…until I happened upon GuruShots. It’s a photography game app that has ‘competitions’ for certain subject areas…like ‘sunsets’ or ‘felines’, etc… You enter your photos, vote on photos and get the chance to hone your photography skills. I have only entered images that I took on my phone, but you can also enter images from your computer. Technically, I think you can ‘win’ money…but haven’t progressed to that level yet. In any event, it’s been an entertaining way to pass some time while looking at some great photography.
- It’s been years since we’ve had any wallpaper in our home…but I’m really starting to crush on certain wallpaper patterns. Here’s a good roundup of different wallpapers/sources and a tip for stripping uncooperative wallpaper.
- The 5 Best Natural Herbs to Cure Health Woes.
- Nine hard truths about clutter!
- I came home from our neverending summer travels/vacation re-energized to do a little ‘decluttering’ in our home. Our freezer and refrigerator are really still in great shape after the big clean out and organization I did earlier this year and as a result of that clean out, I am very mindful of using up leftovers in a more timely fashion. As it turns out, I have quite a bit of already cooked chicken taking up valuable space in the freezer so I have set up my meal plan to use it up. This roundup of 27 recipes using cooked chicken came in quite handy. (We are having the green curry tonight and the tomatillo salsa chicken tomorrow!)
- How does your garden grow? Are your pickling cukes taking over the world? I do love this recipe for refrigerator dill pickles which can be sized to however many cukes you have!
- I was traveling during Amazon Prime Day…which may have been a good thing. BUT…home just in time for Nordstrom’s Anniversary Sale and really pondering whether I should take advantage of their sale on All-Clad…hmmm….It’s a splurge for sure, but I truly do appreciate the difference between a good solid pot and a lighter one and so have slowly been building up my collection of good quality cookware. And…it’s almost my birthday month…that month-long celebration in which I am able to cloak my extravagances as a ‘birthday present.’
What are you reading right now?
I can’t say that I have LOVED anything that I have read of late, but have reserved several books so hopefully have something good to recommend next week. Any suggestions?
Well, it is good to be home (for a couple of weeks) and I’m chomping at the bit to dive back into this blog that has been put on hiatus for the past several months. I have all sorts of ideas up my sleeve…so stay tuned my friends.
Have a fantastic week…